A circle of chairs in the Mitchell Elementary auditorium included middle school and high school students and one big kid, and they all took turns saying their name and interests. And when it was the big kid’s time to talk, all the youngsters were focused on the Nuggets’ center.
“My name is Marcus. I like to jump rope, too. I like to play basketball,” Marcus Camby said.
Camby met Wednesday with students involved in the third year of Marcus’ Mentors, which operates under the auspices of the nonprofit Denver Kids Inc. The program consists of weekly tutoring sessions in math and reading conducted by nine juniors and seniors from three Denver high schools with 18 Mitchell fourth-graders and fifth-graders from September to May.
“It’s all about giving back, and I’m trying to teach these juniors and seniors the importance of giving back and helping out others,” said Camby, who will make surprise visits during the season.
The juniors and seniors receive $2,500 scholarships for each year in the program. Camby said four tutors from the program are college freshmen now.
East High junior Raymond Tucker, 16, said, “You don’t see a lot of celebrities like him do this, especially a lot of basketball players, and take time out of their career to help out.”
Camby averaged 12.8 points and career-highs of 11.9 rebounds, 1.41 steals and an NBA-leading 3.29 blocks last season. He missed 23 games because of injuries last season, but he says he is entering training camp Tuesday in Durango completely healthy.
After the Nuggets were eliminated from the first round of the playoffs last season, a frustrated Camby said he had teammates who “didn’t want to be here” and “management is going to have to do something to bring in the right guys.”
Five players from last season are gone. Forward Kenyon Martin, suspended for three playoff games for conduct detrimental to the team, is back.
“Last year was last year,” Camby said. “There were a lot of things that caused us not to be as good in the playoffs as we had hoped. Guys were frustrated last year, not just myself.
“After being back for a month working out with the guys, I think guys are more serious and more focused about putting last year behind us and make this a prosperous year.”
Camby said he didn’t know if Martin and coach George Karl have “talked it out,” but he believes that Martin is ready to have a breakout year.
“He’s been here the majority of the summer working out and getting his knee healthy,” Camby said. “He said he feels great and is ready to return to his all-star form.”
It’s the Rockets for Bonzi
The Nuggets lost out on free agent swingman Bonzi Wells, who went to the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, according to his agent Bill Duffy. Duffy said Wells agreed to a two-year deal with the Rockets in part because he thinks he is the missing piece to the Rockets’ title hopes. The Nuggets have only about $1.2 million remaining in their mid-level exception, which was too low for Wells and meant a tricky sign-and-trade deal was needed. The 6-foot-6, 210-pounder also passed on NBA champion Miami, Boston and Charlotte.
“Denver made a valiant effort,” Duffy said. “Nuggets (vice presidents) Mark Warkentien and Rex Chapman worked hard and diligently. They just got involved in the last few weeks and were aggressive as anyone.”
Newcomer shooting guard J.R. Smith has impressed the Nuggets during pre-training camp workouts. Denver is still interested in finding a veteran shooting guard, whether a starter or a reserve.
Staff writer Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-954-1098 or mspears@denverpost.com.





