gun violence – The Denver Post Colorado breaking news, sports, business, weather, entertainment. Thu, 21 May 2026 13:49:27 +0000 en-US hourly 30 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.9.4 /wp-content/uploads/2016/05/cropped-DP_bug_denverpost.jpg?w=32 gun violence – The Denver Post 32 32 111738712 1 killed in northeast Denver shooting, police say /2026/05/21/denver-shooting-montbello-49th-avenue/ Thu, 21 May 2026 13:49:27 +0000 /?p=7764581 One person died overnight in a shooting in northeast Denver’s Montbello neighborhood, police said Thursday.

The Denver Police Department first posted about the at 12:30 a.m. Thursday. The block is near the intersection of 49th and Peoria Street.

One person died in the shooting and will be identified by the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner, police said. As of Thursday morning, no other injuries had been reported and no suspects had been publicly identified.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.

This is a developing story and may be updated.

]]>
7764581 2026-05-21T07:49:27+00:00 2026-05-21T07:49:27+00:00
Man gets 12 years in prison in fatal Westminster shooting after murder conviction overturned /2026/05/19/westminster-shooting-sentencing-juan-castorena/ Tue, 19 May 2026 16:29:23 +0000 /?p=7761884 A man who faced life in prison before his 2022 murder conviction in a fatal Westminster shooting was overturned last year took a plea deal instead of a new trial and will only spend 12 years behind bars, according to Adams County court records.

Juan Manuel Castorena’s original first-degree murder conviction and life sentence were overturned in 2025 by the Colorado Court of Appeals, which ordered that the case be retried.

The 31-year-old man instead pleaded guilty on May 8 as part of a deal to reckless manslaughter, a felony, according to court records. Part of that deal was a stipulated 12-year sentence in the Colorado Department of Corrections, followed by three years of parole, court records show.

Witnesses told police that two men attacked 23-year-old Ricardo Rivas in the parking lot of the Village of Greenbriar Apartments, 8290 N. Federal Boulevard, in 2018.

One man shot Rivas in the head when he tried to follow the pair back to their car, police said. The witness who identified Castorena as the shooter gave contradictory statements about what the suspect looked like throughout the investigation and trial, leading to the case being overturned.

]]>
7761884 2026-05-19T10:29:23+00:00 2026-05-19T10:38:10+00:00
Man dies after shooting involving Douglas County deputies in Franktown /2026/05/18/douglas-county-franktown-police-shooting/ Mon, 18 May 2026 20:21:31 +0000 /?p=7761277 A man suspected of assaulting his mother in a Douglas County home was fatally shot Sunday after he pointed a weapon at responding deputies, sheriff’s officials said.

Douglas County deputies responded to a home in the 3200 block of Weasel Way in Franktown just before 1 p.m. Sunday, after a child inside the house called 911 to report a man was assaulting their grandmother, according to a .

A child and a woman ran from the home while deputies tried to contact the assault suspect inside the house, .  One deputy spotted a man pointing a gun at the deputy through the open front door and shot at him. It’s unknown if the man shot at the deputy, Weekly said.

The man, who will be identified by the Douglas County Coroner’s Office, was later found dead inside the home. Whether the unidentified deputy fatally shot the man or the man shot himself remains under investigation, Weekly said.

“Our deputies are trained extremely well to handle calls like this, to de-escalate situations,” Weekly said. “This one evolved and escalated extremely rapidly. The deputy was faced with a life-or-death decision and did what they thought they had to do to save their own life and the lives of others.”

Two children and the grandmother were safely removed from the home, sheriff’s officials said. The grandmother was the suspect’s mother, Weekly confirmed.

The 23rd Judicial District Critical Incident Response Team will investigate the fatal police shooting.

One Douglas County Regional SWAT vehicle hydroplaned in the heavy rain and crashed while responding to the incident, according to the sheriff’s office. The deputy driving the vehicle was taken to the hospital, treated and released.

]]>
7761277 2026-05-18T14:21:31+00:00 2026-05-18T14:21:31+00:00
Aurora teen arrested after bringing loaded gun to school /2026/05/13/aurora-student-arrested-gun-overland-high/ Wed, 13 May 2026 16:26:07 +0000 /?p=7756934 Overland High School was locked down Wednesday morning after a 16-year-old boy brought a loaded gun to school, Aurora police said.

The 16-year-old student was spotted with a gun in the hallway of Overland High School just after 8:40 a.m. Wednesday, . Police previously said the boy was 17 years old.

The high school is part of the .

An unidentified witness noticed the weapon and shouted out to alert staff members, who chased after the teenager and tackled him to the ground, police said. No shots were fired, and no one was injured.

Overland High School was immediately put on lockdown, and the student was arrested on investigation of possessing a handgun as a juvenile and possession of a weapon on school grounds, . Investigators do not believe the gun was stolen.

This is a developing story and may be updated.

Updated 1:35 p.m. Thursday, May 14, 2026: This article was updated to clarify that Overland High School is in the Cherry Creek School District.

]]>
7756934 2026-05-13T10:26:07+00:00 2026-05-14T13:39:09+00:00
Man shot to death in south Thornton early Sunday morning /2026/05/10/thornton-murder-shooting-death-theft/ Sun, 10 May 2026 17:23:24 +0000 /?p=7754312 One man is dead and another is under investigation for murder after an early Sunday morning shooting in south Thornton, according to the police department.

Thornton officers responded to the shooting in the 9700 block of Ogden Court just after 3 a.m. Sunday, according to a from the police department. A witness who called 911 told dispatchers that someone was trying to break into their vehicle and that shots had been fired.

When they arrived, officers found a man who had been shot lying near a crashed truck, police said in the release. Investigators believe the man was breaking into vehicles and tried to leave the area in the truck after being shot, but collided with several parked cars.

Paramedics took the 34-year-old man to the hospital, where he later died. He will be identified by the Adams County Coroner’s Office.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder in the shooting, police said. He was released later Sunday morning “pending charges and further investigation,” the release stated.

Investigators do not believe the victim or the suspect knew each other, police said.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Thornton Police Department tip line at 720-977-5069.

This is a developing story and may be updated.

]]>
7754312 2026-05-10T11:23:24+00:00 2026-05-10T11:23:24+00:00
Latest Trump administration lawsuit targets Colorado’s large-capacity magazine ban /2026/05/06/colorado-gun-magazine-ban-lawsuit-trump/ Wed, 06 May 2026 16:28:27 +0000 /?p=7750790 The U.S. Department of Justice sued Colorado on Wednesday over the state’s ban on large-capacity magazines, following up on a similar lawsuit the Trump administration brought to challenge Denver’s assault weapon ban a day prior.

The new lawsuit alleges that Colorado’s ban on ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds violates the Second Amendment’s right for citizens to keep and bear arms. It argues that such magazines are standard for many weapons.

“Law-abiding Americans own and use for lawful purposes literally hundreds of millions of magazines such as those banned by the State,” the complaint reads. “A detachable magazine is an integral part of most semi-automatic firearms, including the AR-15 rifle. As such, they are covered by the Second Amendment¶¶Ňőap right to keep and bear arms.”

Attorney General Phil Weiser vowed to defend the ban in a statement Wednesday, reiterating a stance he and other state and local officials took when the DOJ first threatened the lawsuits against Denver and the state earlier this week.

“Using federal civil rights law to put Coloradans at greater risk of gun violence is a dangerous overreach by the Justice Department, and this lawsuit turns the mission of the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division on its head,” Weiser said in the statement. “Large-capacity magazine laws are responsible policies that satisfy Second Amendment protections, decrease the deadly impacts of mass shootings, and save lives.”

The Colorado Supreme Court upheld the state’s ban on large-capacity magazines in 2020, finding that the prohibition did not violate residents’ right to bear arms as guaranteed by the state Constitution. The decision did not consider whether the ban violated the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

State lawmakers passed the ban in 2013 in the wake of the Aurora movie theater shooting the prior year, in which the gunman used a large-capacity magazine to fire more than 60 rounds in less than a minute, killing 12 and wounding dozens.

]]>
7750790 2026-05-06T10:28:27+00:00 2026-05-06T10:28:27+00:00
Denverites call for action in wake of deadly shootings /2026/05/03/north-denver-shootings-meeting/ Sun, 03 May 2026 12:00:35 +0000 /?p=7631793 Terri Jackson’s daughter is 20 years old, and she knows at least 20 young people in Denver who have been killed or died by suicide.

“This is very personal to me,” Jackson said, speaking to a panel of city and state leaders at the Clayton Early Learning campus on Saturday morning.

Jackson was one of about 40 people who attended a community meeting organized by the Colorado Black Round Table to address a recent increase in deadly shootings in Denver. 

Six people were killed in the first 10 days of April, and although Denver police investigators have said the homicides were not connected, that does not lessen their impact, community leaders said Saturday.

“Gun violence in general is continuing to go down, but unfortunately we are starting to see a higher lethality rate,” Police Chief Ron Thomas said after the meeting. “A lot of it has to do with the proximity in which those occurred, in very close proximity conflicts. It¶¶Ňőap certainly shocking.”

In the wake of a rise in violence, there’s a danger in under- or overreacting, Thomas and other community leaders said Saturday. Although DPD took steps like adding more street cameras and increasing patrols, over-policing a community will just create further distrust, Thomas said.

“I don’t believe in reacting in a way that doesn’t produce sustainable results for the sake of doing something,” Al Gardner, executive director of the Denver Department of Public Safety, told the crowd. “I think we need to do something that produces results.”

Community members asked questions or gave statements to the panel of government officials for more than an hour, moderated by Colorado Black Round Table Director John Bailey. Folks brought up ideas for violence prevention ranging from improving K-12 education to expanding youth employment programs.

Bailey called on Denver’s major league sports teams to invest in the city’s young people.

Although speakers talked about funding as a major hurdle for growing violence prevention programs, state Senate President James Coleman described it as another problem that needs to be addressed at its foundation.

For funding to be sustainable, there needs to be an ecosystem based on a Black community that supports Black businesses which in turn support Black nonprofit organizations, he said.

“When we as Black people decide we will invest in ourselves and bet on ourselves, that¶¶Ňőap when the money will be sustainable. Until then, we will always be behind,” Coleman said.

Several community members said they want to see more action to back up the ideas raised Saturday, including community organizer Helen Bradshaw, who said she wants more collaboration between the very people who came to the meeting.

“If you need something, reach out. If you want something, look within,” she said after the meeting. “All of this just asking for money to do the same thing – it¶¶Ňőap offensive for me to see you just stand up and give a title and continue on as usual. Where has that gotten you? The resources were right in this room.”

Although coming together as a community to talk is good, people need to put words into action and actually do something, said Jason McBride, founder of Denver nonprofit McBride Impact.

“The only true currency we really have is our youth, and we need to make more of an investment into them,” he said. “Those are the kids that are going to change and make things better for our community, but we’re not showing them how to do that or giving them the resources to do it.”

]]>
7631793 2026-05-03T06:00:35+00:00 2026-05-02T19:41:00+00:00
Westminster officer fatally shoots armed man during Arvada domestic violence incident /2026/05/02/arvada-police-shooting-lamar-heights/ Sat, 02 May 2026 20:12:47 +0000 /?p=7622656 A and killed an armed man during a domestic violence incident in Arvada’s Lamar Heights neighborhood on Saturday morning, Arvada Police Department officials said.

Police arrived at an apartment at Willow Green Townhomes, 6989 Sheridan Blvd., at 7:11 a.m. after getting calls about a “disturbance involving an assault” and that there were multiple people, including children, and guns in the home.

Officers entered the home and found one person who was being kept against their will and safely removed two women and a child from the home, Arvada police said. The Westminster Police Department also responded to the scene and deployed a drone to help with surveillance.

Witnesses told police there were two men still inside who were believed to be armed, and officers saw one man crawl out of a window onto the roof while armed and then go back inside.

At 8:03 a.m., the man came back onto the roof and got a gun, which is when a Westminster officer shot the man and he fell on the roof.

Paramedics could not immediately get to the man because police did not know what was going on inside the apartment, Arvada officials wrote. Officers used a drone to monitor him and saw he “showed no signs of life.”

The Jefferson County SWAT Team searched the apartment and did not find anyone else inside. The man was pronounced dead at 11 a.m., and investigators found two guns near his body and another gun in the apartment.

It’s not clear what happened to the second man described by witnesses, and investigators are still looking into whether he left the home before police arrived, department spokesperson Chase Amos said.

Arvada police are investigating the assault and the 17th Judicial District Critical Incident Response Team is investigating the police shooting.

Updated 5:47 p.m. May 2, 2026: Because of a reporter’s error, a previous version of this story misreported which police department the officer who shot the suspect was from. The officer was from the Westminster Police Department. The story has been updated.

]]>
7622656 2026-05-02T14:12:47+00:00 2026-05-04T17:53:16+00:00
Aurora man told police he fatally shot stepbrother in self-defense, affidavit says /2026/05/01/aurora-stepbrother-shooting-death/ Fri, 01 May 2026 20:18:46 +0000 /?p=7588950 An Aurora man accused of killing his stepbrother told investigators he shot the other man in self-defense because he was threatening him with a knife — but police did not find evidence to back up his statement, according to an arrest affidavit.

Zackery Mitchell Williams, 32, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder in the shooting death of 36-year-old David Burrow, who police found with multiple gunshot wounds at a home in the 1800 block of South Fairplay Street in Aurora on Tuesday night.

A neighbor called 911 at 6:34 p.m. and asked for an ambulance and police officers to respond to the home where Williams and Burrow lived with their father, Aurora Police Department detectives wrote in the arrest report.

Officers found Burrow in his room and he was pronounced dead at 6:53 p.m.

The men’s father told police he was sleeping when he awoke to yelling and screaming and walked into the hallway, saw Williams standing in the doorway to Burrow’s room and heard several “pops.”

Williams was holding a gun and told his father that Burrow had pulled a knife on him.

Police found and arrested Williams as he was walking along East Mexico Drive, and he told detectives the family was having a normal day when Burrow got mad at him for an unknown reason, then came into Williams’ room in the basement and threatened him with a Gerber pocket knife.

Williams told police he shot Burrow in the basement once or twice, then Burrow went back upstairs and came back down, which is when Williams shot him again, according to the affidavit.

But investigators did not find any shell casings or blood in the basement or stairwell and did not find a knife at the scene, Aurora detectives wrote in the complaint. Police did find 15 spent shell casings in Burrows’ room upstairs, and the coroner determined Burrow was shot in the back and head.

Williams is being held without bail in the Arapahoe County Detention Center and is set to appear in court on Tuesday.

]]>
7588950 2026-05-01T14:18:46+00:00 2026-05-01T14:44:15+00:00
Aurora man fatally shot brother during fight, police say /2026/04/28/aurora-shooting-brother-homicide/ Wed, 29 Apr 2026 02:21:59 +0000 /?p=7515723 An Aurora man was arrested after fatally shooting his older brother during a fight on Tuesday night, police officials said.

Aurora Police Department officers responded to a shooting in the 1800 block of South Fairplay Street at 6:34 p.m. when someone called 911 after a man shot his brother during an argument.

Police officials previously misidentified which brother is accused of shooting the other, and on Wednesday confirmed the younger brother is suspected of shooting the older brother.

Officers detained the younger brother at the scene. His name was not immediately available.

Police are still investigating the shooting, agency officials said.

This is a developing story.

Updated 3:20 p.m. April 29, 2026: Because of incorrect information from a source, a previous version of this story misreported which brother is suspected of shooting the other. The story has been updated.

]]>
7515723 2026-04-28T20:21:59+00:00 2026-04-29T15:42:06+00:00