ap

Skip to content

Colorado Air National Guard members to remain in Greeley with new missions

Almost 400 Greeley-based guard members impacted with change

PUBLISHED:
Getting your player ready...
Almost 400 Colorado Air National Guard members with space-related work based in Greeley will continue to serve in the city following a commitment Friday from Air Force officials, who previously transferred Air National Guard space missions into the new U.S. Space Force.

The controversial and widely opposed move impacted multiple states, including 393 members of the Colorado Air National Guard 233rd Space Group in Greeley. The airmen were left without assignments in the transition, according to U.S. Rep. Jason Crow, a Democrat from Aurora.

Crow this week led the 10-member Colorado congressional delegation’s efforts for clarity on the transfers, saying those who remain in the unit were left in limbo with uncertainty and retention challenges.

On Friday, Crow announced that hundreds of air national guard members will be remissioned, calling the change “a win for service members across Colorado’s Air National Guard.”

Congressman Jason Crow speaks with members of the media outside Buckley Space Force Base in Aurora on Feb. 3, 2025. (Photo by RJ Sangosti/The Denver Post)
Congressman Jason Crow speaks with members of the media outside Buckley Space Force Base in Aurora on Feb. 3, 2025. (Photo by RJ Sangosti/The Denver Post)

U.S. Rep. Gabe Evans, who represents the Greeley area within Colorado’s 8th Congressional District, said the remissioning of the 233rd Space Group “restores confidence in our commitment to investing in our service members and their families,” according to a release from Gov. Jared Polis’ office.

In a May 18 letter to Air Force leaders, the lawmakers said 178 airmen are full time and 215 are part time among the 393-person group. Since the move to the Space Force, 14 have left for other units, separated or retired. Nineteen have been projected to transfer to the Space Force. The group is based at the Greeley Air National Guard Station at 2605 E. 8th St., near the Greeley-Weld County Airport.

“As we look to the future of our national defense and the critical role filled by Colorado installations and military professionals, itap never been more important to prioritize a clear, stable path forward for the remaining highly trained service members,” the Colorado congressional delegation wrote.

The delegation sent the letter to Troy E. Meink, secretary of the Air Force, and Chief of Staff Gen. Kenneth S. Wilsbach. The letter asked for an update on the situation that led to the guard members without a mission. It was signed by U.S. Senators Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper, and U.S. Reps. Crow, Evans, Lauren Boebert, Jeff Crank, Diana DeGette, Jeff Hurd, Joe Neguse and Brittany Pettersen.

U.S. Rep. Gabe Evans answers a question asked by the moderator during a veteran listening event with Secretary of Veterans Affairs Doug Collins at a Moose Lodge in Brighton on Wednesday, May 6, 2026. (Brice Tucker/Staff Photographer)
U.S. Rep. Gabe Evans answers a question asked by the moderator during a veteran listening event with Secretary of Veterans Affairs Doug Collins at a Moose Lodge in Brighton on Wednesday, May 6, 2026. (Brice Tucker/Staff Photographer)

Christopher Bowman, Crow’s communications director and spokesman, said late Friday afternoon he did not know what type of work the Greeley air group members had been doing since its move to the Space Force.

“The real issue is they were in limbo and didn’t have a mission,” Bowman said.

Crow spoke with Meink on Wednesday during a House of Representatives Armed Services Committee hearing on Air Force budgeting. Crow asked Meink about the letter and guard members who had not yet been remissioned since the move to the Space Force.

Meink said he would review the letter and that he and Crow have had discussions on the remissioning. The secretary then said the state will not lose those National Guard positions.

“Those billets are staying there,” Meink said. “I think what you’re poking a little bit is we need to get on with that remissioning to just make people have a better understanding of where they fit and how they want to participate.”

In May 2024, the military suggested moving guard members in space operations to the U.S. Space Force. The force was created in December 2019 within the Air Force.

Later in the year, a portion of the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2025 included a provision that would lead to the transfer of space missions, equipment and facilities to the Space Force from the Colorado Air National Guard.

The provision was opposed by Polis and other governors nationwide, as well as the Colorado congressional delegation. Their issue was that it is usually state governors who have to approve changes to National Guard units and the provision then gave that power to Congress, Bowman said.

The Air Force in 2024 was seeking approval from Congress to waive a requirement that it obtain governors’ approval before transferring Air National Guard units to the Space Force.

In April 2024, 53 governors from U.S. states, commonwealths and territories sent a letter to then-Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin asking for the discontinuation of the legislative proposal that would weaken or eliminate governor authority of the National Guard.

Polis said Colorado has been working at the state and federal government levels to support and strengthen the Air National Guard members, their families and the state’s National Guard as a group.

In Crow’s news release, the governor expressed appreciation for the work of the federal delegation.

“Now they have the certainty they need to continue serving,” Polis said. “Without a new mission, we risked losing these talented, dedicated service men and women.”

RevContent Feed

More in Latest Headlines